When it comes to reported problems with font size in Outlook, most of the time the issue people are having is too small text in emails when writing a letter, replying to it or forwarding it. This problem is pretty easily fixed: just adjust zoom settings on the Reading Pane. Other times users complain that menus and/or icons are too small in Outlook on their high resolution monitors. Too small font in older programs is actually a pretty common issue with HiDPI. The solution here might lie in changing display setting for Windows or for Outlook itself. This articles describes some fixes you may try to get rid of the small font problem in Outlook.
Change Zoom settings in the Reading Pane
Press Ctrl key on your keyboard and scroll your mouse wheel to adjust zoom size. Alternately, change settings on Zoom scale on the lower right of the Reading Pane or click Zoom on the toolbar at the top of the window and adjust the setting.
Change text size for system fonts
- Click Start button and type display settings into the search bar.
- Select Change Display Settings from search results.
- Under Resolution try selecting different resolutions from the drop-down menu and see how Outlook looks with these settings.
- If high resolution is important to you and you don’t want to lower it, under Change the size of text, apps, and other items drop-down menu try selecting different options from the drop-down menu.
Fix too small size for elements in Outlook.
- Right click on the Outlook icon and select Properties.
- Select Compatibility tab.
- Click Change hi DPI settings button.
- Open Advanced scaling settings.
- Under Enter a custom scaling size between 100% – 500% (not recommended) change the percentage to a bigger one.
- Click Apply.
- Go back to hi DPI settings window.
- Under Use the DPI that’s set for my main display when select I open this program from drop-down menu.
- Put checkmark into Override hi DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: checkbox and select System or System (Enhanced) from the drop down menu (see which one brings better results).
- Click OK.