What Is ControlFraction?
ControlFraction is a malicious adware application. It belongs to adware category because it infects devices by displaying intrusive advertisements. Most often, users click on it unintentionally because advertisements appear frequently and almost all over the screen, blocking the necessary information on the screen.
ControlFraction modifies browser settings to promote fake search engines. After the introduction of fake search networks, queries entered by users will be translated to unwanted pages every time. This was invented by scammers in order to collect views and clicks. Scammers collect clicks from banners, coupons, pop-ups that will appear on your screen from the moment ControlFraction is introduced. Advertising-type viruses usually track user activity on the Internet to facilitate the implementation of advertisements. Identity theft poses a threat to financial data.
This information is then passed on to other scammers or sold. Remove ControlFraction to prevent further infection. You can remove the virus manually, but if you are not sure you will not make mistakes, remove ControlFraction automatically.
How to Remove ControlFraction
- Remove ControlFraction Automatically
- Delete Rogue Applications
- Remove ControlFraction From Browsers
- How to Protect Your PC From ControlFraction and Other Adware
Remove ControlFraction Automatically
To quickly remove ControlFraction from your Mac OS you may run a scan with Norton; it is a great antivirus that may be able to remove ControlFraction from your Mac.
Other apps that might be able to remove ControlFraction from Mac :
Go to Applications folder and delete ControlFraction and other new and suspicious apps.
- On the top menu select Go => Applications.
- Drag an unwanted application to the Trash bin.
- Right-click on the Trash and select Empty Trash.
Remove ControlFraction from browsers:
Remove ControlFraction and another suspicious extensions, then change browsers’ homepage, new tab page, start page and default search engine.
Remove ControlFraction from Safari:
- On the top menu select Safari => Preferences.
- Select Extensions tab.
- Select an extension you want to delete and click Uninstall button next to it.
Remove ControlFraction from Google Chrome:
- Click on three dots menu button .
- Select More tools => Extensions.
- Find an extension you want to delete and click REMOVE under it.
- Click Remove in the dialog box.
Remove ControlFraction from Mozilla Firefox:
- Click on menu button and select Add-ons.
- Go to Extensions tab.
- To uninstall an add-on, click on Remove button next to it.
How to Protect Your Mac From ControlFraction and Other Adware:
- Get a powerful anti-malware software, capable of detecting and eliminating PUPs. Having several on-demand scanners would be a good idea too.
- Keep your OS, browsers and security software up to date. Malware creators find new browser and OS vulnerabilities to exploit all the time. Software writers, in turn, release patches and updates to get rid of the known vulnerabilities and lesser the chance of malware penetration. Antivirus program’s signature databases get updated every day and even more often to include new virus signatures.
- Download and use uBlock Origin, Adblock, Adblock Plus or one of the similar trustworthy extensions for blocking third-party advertisements on web-sites.
- Don’t download software from unverified web-sites. You can easily download a trojan (malware that pretends to be a useful application); or some unwanted programs could get installed along with the app.
- When installing freeware or shareware, be sensible and don’t rush through the process. Choose Custom or Advanced installation mode, look for checkboxes that ask for your permission to install third-party apps and uncheck them, read End User License Agreement to make sure nothing else is going to get installed. You can make exceptions for the aps you know and trust, of course. If declining from installing unwanted programs is not possible, we advise you to cancel the installation completely.