What Is Connection Optimizer?
Connection Optimizer is a browser hijacker that may get installed on your Mac in the company of a free or cracked application or a file downloaded from an untrustworthy site. Connection Optimizer will change your browser’s search engine to a website which will redirect your searches to Yahoo or Bing. The browser will not let you alter the search engine, stating that “Connection Optimizer is controlling this setting”. The browser itself may also become “managed by your organization”. This step-by-step guide will help you remove Connection Optimizer extension from your Mac and get rid of the search redirect.
How to Remove Connection Optimizer:
- Remove ConnectionOptimizer Automatically
- Delete Rogue Applications
- Remove Rogue Profiles from Macbook
- Remove Connection Optimizer From Browsers
- How to Protect Your PC From Connection Optimizer and Other Browser Hijackers
Remove Connection Optimizer Automatically
You may try to remove the browser hijacker automatically or use the manual instructions provided below.
However it is still recommended that you scan your system with a good antivirus or anti-malware tool, to find and remove other possible malware and PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) that may have been installed along with Connection Optimizer.
SpyHunter is a powerful anti-malware solution that protects you against malware, spyware, ransomware and other types of Internet threats. SpyHunter is available for Windows and macOS devices.
Delete Rogue Applications:
Go to Applications folder and delete new and suspicious apps.
- On the top menu select Go => Applications.
- Drag an unwanted application to the Trash bin.
- Right-click on the Trash and select Empty Trash.
Remove Rogue Profiles from Macbook:
- Open System Preferences.
- Click on Profiles.
- Click the minus button below to delete rogue settings.
Remove ConnectionOptimizer from browsers:
Remove ConnectionOptimizer and other new and unfamiliar extensions, then change browsers’ homepage, new tab page, start page and default search engine.
Remove ConnectionOptimizer from Safari:
- On the top menu select Safari => Preferences.
- Select Extensions tab.
- Select an extension you want to delete and click Uninstall button next to it.
- Go to General tab.
- Select what you want Safari to open on start-up, new windows, new tabs and homepage.
- Go to Search tab.
- Select the search engine you want.
Remove Connection Optimizer from Google Chrome:
- Click on three dots menu button .
- Select More tools => Extensions.
- Find an extension you want to delete and click REMOVE under it.
- Click Remove in the dialog box.
- Right-click the address bar and select Edit search engines….
- Click on three dots button next to the search provider you want and select Make default.
- Click on three dots button next to hijacker search engine and select Remove from list.
- Click on back arrow at the top of the page (near Manage search engines).
- Under On startup section select Open the New Tab page.
- Scroll to the top. Under Appearance section enable Show Home button setting.
- Clear the textfield of the existing address. Put the one you want or select New Tab page.
- Close Settings tab.
ConnectionOptimizer Removal from Mozilla Firefox:
- Click on menu button and select Add-ons.
- Go to Extensions tab.
- To uninstall an add-on, click on Remove button next to it.
- Click on the search icon in the search bar and click Change Search Settings.
- Select search engine you want from the drop-down menu.
- Highlight the hijacker search engine in the table below and click Remove.
- Go to General tab.
- Under Startup section click Restore to Default button.
How to Protect Your Mac From ConnectionOptimizer and Other Browser Hijackers:
- Get a powerful anti-malware software, capable of detecting and eliminating PUPs. Having several on-demand scanners would be a good idea too.
- Keep your OS, browsers and security software up to date. Malware creators find new browser and OS vulnerabilities to exploit all the time. Software writers, in turn, release patches and updates to get rid of the known vulnerabilities and lesser the chance of malware penetration. Antivirus program’s signature databases get updated every day and even more often to include new virus signatures.
- Download and use uBlock Origin, Adblock, Adblock Plus or one of the similar trustworthy extensions for blocking third-party advertisements on web-sites.
- Don’t download software from unverified web-sites. You can easily download a trojan (malware that pretends to be a useful application); or some unwanted programs could get installed along with the app.
- When installing freeware or shareware, be sensible and don’t rush through the process. Choose Custom or Advanced installation mode, look for checkboxes that ask for your permission to install third-party apps and uncheck them, read End User License Agreement to make sure nothing else is going to get installed. You can make exceptions for the apps you know and trust, of course. If declining from installing unwanted programs is not possible, we advise you to cancel the installation completely.