What Is Searchmine.net?
SearchMine is a browser hijacker that changes the default search engine on your Chrome and Safari browsers to www.searchmine.net. Most of the time this browser hijacker ends up on users’ Macbooks after users download and install fake Adobe Flash Player updates (if a site ever tells you to install a Flash Player update, that is almost certainly a scam). As a result, several PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) and possibly more malicious programs get installed, while SearchMine takes over users’ browsers and redirects their searches to unwanted search engines instead of users’ preferred search providers (Google, Bing, etc.). SearchMine seems to be yet another variant of Weknow.ac (Chumsearch.com) browser hijacker that cannot be removed by simply changing browser settings back, because the hijacker adds admin preferences to the system to prevent the removal. You may follow this step-by-step guide to get rid of the browser hijacker and remove Searchmine.net from your Mac.
How to Remove Searchmine.net:
- Remove Searchmine.net Automatically
- Delete Rogue Applications
- Remove Admin Prefs
- Remove Searchmine.net From Browsers
- How to Protect Your PC From Searchmine.net and Other Browser Hijackers
Remove Searchmine.net Automatically
To get rid of Searchmine.net quickly and easily you may run a scan with Combo Cleaner; it is a great antivirus and system cleaner that may be able to remove Searchmine.net from your Mac.
Alternatively, you may try using Norton (available for Mac, iOS, Windows and Android).
Delete Rogue Applications:
Go to Applications folder and delete SearchMine and other new and suspicious apps.
- On the top menu select Go => Applications.
- Drag an unwanted application to the Trash bin.
- Right-click on the Trash and select Empty Trash.
Remove Admin Prefs:
- Click on System Preferences.
- Select Profiles.
- Find and click on AdminPrefs on the left bottom side.
- Delete unneeded settings in AdminPrefs.
Remove Searchmine.net from browsers:
Remove SearchMine and another suspicious extensions, then change browsers’ homepage, new tab page, start page and default search engine.
Remove Searchmine.net from Safari:
- On the top menu select Safari => Preferences.
- Select Extensions tab.
- Select an extension you want to delete and click Uninstall button next to it.
- Go to General tab.
- Select what you want Safari to open on start-up, new windows, new tabs and homepage.
- Go to Search tab.
- Select the search engine you want.
Remove Searchmine.net from Google Chrome:
- Click on three dots menu button .
- Select More tools => Extensions.
- Find an extension you want to delete and click REMOVE under it.
- Click Remove in the dialog box.
- Right-click the address bar and select Edit search engines….
- Click on three dots button next to the search provider you want and select Make default.
- Click on three dots button next to hijacker search engine and select Remove from list.
- Click on back arrow at the top of the page (near Manage search engines).
- Under On startup section select Open the New Tab page.
- Scroll to the top. Under Appearance section enable Show Home button setting.
- Clear the textfield of the existing address. Put the one you want or select New Tab page.
- Close Settings tab.
Remove Searchmine.net from Mozilla Firefox:
- Click on menu button and select Add-ons.
- Go to Extensions tab.
- To uninstall an add-on, click on Remove button next to it.
- Click on the search icon in the search bar and click Change Search Settings.
- Select search engine you want from the drop-down menu.
- Highlight the hijacker search engine in the table below and click Remove.
- Go to General tab.
- Under Startup section click Restore to Default button.
How to Protect Your Macbook From Searchmine.net and Other Browser Hijackers:
- Get a powerful anti-malware software, capable of detecting and eliminating PUPs. Having several on-demand scanners would be a good idea too.
- Keep your operating system, browsers and security software up to date. Malware developers find new browser and OS vulnerabilities to exploit all the time. Software creators, in turn, release patches and updates to get rid of the known vulnerabilities and lesser the chance of malware penetration. Antivirus program’s signature databases get updated every day and even more often to add new virus signatures.
- Download and use uBlock Origin, Adblock, Adblock Plus or one of the similar trustworthy browser extensions for blocking third-party advertisements on web-sites.
- Don’t download software from unverified web-sites. You can easily download a trojan (malware that pretends to be a useful application); or some unwanted programs could get installed along with the app.
- When installing freeware or shareware, be sensible and don’t rush through the process. Choose Custom or Advanced installation mode, look for checkboxes that ask for your permission to install third-party apps and uncheck them, read End User License Agreement to make sure nothing else is going to get installed. You can make exceptions for the apps you know and trust, of course. If declining from installing unwanted programs is not possible, we advise you to cancel the installation completely.